By Mac Deaver
[The Tarlac Bible Forum was conducted in November 2014 at the Nick Hotel in Gerona, Tarlac, in the Philippines. Five lectures were presented by Mac Deaver on the theme of “The Baptism of the Great Commission.” We are publishing his teaching outlines here in the order delivered.]
Lesson 2: Was the Baptism of the Holy Spirit a One Time Event Only?
Discussion: No, because —
- There are no measures of the Holy Spirit (John 3:34).
- All who obeyed the gospel received the Spirit (Acts 5:32). [Question: Why didn’t the kingdom arrive ten days prior to Pentecost?]
- Baptism in the Spirit is no more miraculous than the forgiveness of sins is (Romans 8:2).
- There is only one way into the kingdom (John 3:3-5; Ephesians 4:4-5). [Note: If some entered at the point of Spirit baptism (Acts 2:1-4), and if some entered at the point of water baptism (Acts 10:44-48), then all entered when water and Spirit were combined in their human experience (John 3:3-5)!]
- Of the meaning of John 3:3-5.
- Of what Jesus did not say in John 3:3-5 —
(1) Water must come first and then the Spirit;
(2) Spirit must come first and then the water;
(3) Water and Spirit must come at the same time;
(4) One’s forgiveness had to occur at the moment of kingdom entry;
(5) Forgiveness would occur in every case of water baptism;
(6) One born of water only could enter the kingdom;
(7) One born of Spirit only could enter the kingdom.
- Entering the spiritual body of Christ (the church) is accomplished by means of entering the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9-11; Galatians 3:26-27).